Friday 5 August 2011

It's just a purrfect day...

isn't the weather lovely and hot today?  unusual for sunny London, which is normally known for it's gloom and smog.  It's great weather for the soul, but not particularly good weather for the breathing.  It makes the air dry and dusty, and when your airway is damaged and you can't moisten the air in the natural way anyway, this makes for potentially huge problems.  I suffered badly over the past couple of years, and experienced some major obstructions and episodes of tracheitis in the summer.  It was complicated by my lung problems, which cause an overproduction of mucuous, and when you combine an overproduction of mucous with an inability to moisten lung secretions, what you get are big crusty formations of mucous clinging to, and blocking off, parts of (and occasionally all of) the stent.  The problem was equally bad when I had the tracheostomies, but at least then I could remove the inner tube and clean it out.

I had a T tube once that was a little too narrow, in about 2004, and basically it was a very hot day, my mucous was very thick and dry.  And then came the moment when I coughed and the tube blocked completely.  Luckily, I was in hospital at the time and they managed to save my life, but only by pulling out the tube after I had ceased to breathe, and my hard had stopped beating.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this; remember to nebulise; it might just save your life.  Remember to drink at least two to three litres of water a day.  And take all your medication as required.  I almost died from problems caused by dry mucous, and I did everything I was supposed to.  So increase your chances of survival and please please please look after yourself.  Hot weather is a killer to people with airway disorders/diseases, so keep a very close eye on yourself.

Have a lovely day, but if you feel your breathing getting tight or difficult; go straight to hospital.

TRACHEAL STENOSIS CAN KILL.

No comments:

Post a Comment