Thursday 1 September 2011

What goes down must come up!!

Hey there, it's been a while.  Well, I can't say that I have been up to much that's interesting.  As you know, I had surgery early this month to change my stent, and whilst the surgery seemed to go okay, there were a few complications.  One was that I got seriously disoriented after the anaesthetic, and tried to make a run from the recovery room, lol, they had to chase me down a corridor and pin me to a wheelchair, literally.  I had a CT scan the next day, which didn't show up anything too major,  although it did prove that I actually have a brain!

After being discharged home, I realised that my airway was closing down a bit.  It turns out, I had a mjor infection which was putting pressure on my poorly trachea, thus making it difficult to breathe.  I had to wait six hours in clinic to see the consultant to prove that I had an infection.  It was plain to anyone who looked at my neck that it was inflamed, why did they have to put me through the trauma of sitting in clinic for so long?  It was interesting to find out that they have bed managers deciding who has what procedure and when, not the consultants.  It's terrifying to think that administrators with no medical training are the ones deciding the medical fate of so many chronically ill people.  And yes, I am talking about the RNTNE.

They treated my infection incredibly well, once I was admitted, and I spent the week being infused with teicoplanin, aka targocid, which seemed to do the job.  I was also given fucidic acid for the fungal infection in my lungs, which did the job but also made me vomit on a four hourly basis.  Yuck.

I was home for a couple of weeks after that, but very very depressed.  I've done little more than read and sleep.  I made the decision to go back on the lithium after yelling like a nutjob at three people in one day.  I have to say that at least two of them really did deserve a good slapping, but there are probably more effective ways to achieve it.  So the drugs are all doing their job, and life is trotting along fine.  It's boring, but fine.

It's my birthday in a few days, and I have been given the most amazing present; a holiday!!!!  Thanks to my very generous relative, my husband and I will shortly be jetting away for a six day break.  So please pray to whatever God you believe in that my health will stand up to the challenge. I also was given my soda stream, Sebastian (named after the lead singer of Skid Row), because it barks (Bachs)!!!  You'll only understand that if you're a rock fan.  Apologies.

Just off to do my last neb of the day, and take the truckload of medications that I have to chuck down regularly.  I always end up forgetting the tegretol, but I'm sure the other three anti epileptics will take care of that, lol.  I take carbocisteine to thin out my lung juice and stop it from scarring up my lungs.  If you have thick lung secretions, it's worth discussing with your doctor.

Night night peoples, see you again soon!!  Keep breathing, it's good for the body....

No comments:

Post a Comment